The plan for today was to get the wood block finished, but after drawing up the Mastercam file, we decided to wait until tomorrow to double check our work, seeing as we only have one 2’x4′ piece of wood to work with. In the meantime, we got the countersunk bolts for the block (so the batteries can actually fit between the wood) and tested out some stains.
We both immediately agreed on the red mahogany stain (second from the left). Without the block, we went back to the shop and finished up the steering. After a fair amount of grinding to get the right level of movement, we came up with the steering we had envisioned:
We are quite happy with it, but we need to get longer bolts. Block tomorrow (seriously)!